Cachar administration issues Mahalaya guidelines; gathering on Sadarghat Bridge not allowed
The Cachar administration on Tuesday issued guidelines on the upcoming Mahalaya celebration. The Silchar District Disaster Management Authority addressed the apprehension of rise in the number of COVID cases in view of unwanted crowds on the Mahalaya celebration on September 17.
It stated that it is essential to protect the gains made in the fight against COVID-19 by taking necessary precautionary and preventive measures. Therefore it is laying down a set of rules and regulations for the upcoming festivities in connection with ‘Mahalaya” & “Biswakarma Puja”
1. Restriction is hereby imposed on the movement of more than a group of three persons together on the roads on Mahalaya morning.
2. Accumulation of crowds at any place will not be allowed. However, people are free to move on the roads within small groups, comprising a maximum of three persons.
3. Wearing a mask and maintaining physical distance will be mandatory on both the occasions.
4. People will not be allowed to roam about or accumulate in both the bridges (Old & New) located at Sadarghat, Silchar from September 16 evening 9:00 P.M till September 18 morning 6:00 AM. Entry will be strictly restricted at these bridges for unwanted gatherings.
5. Biswakarma puja shall also be celebrated with a maximum of 15 number of persons and accumulation of crowd at any place will not be allowed.
6. Distribution of wet food/prasad is not allowed by any Puja Samiti. However, packed Prasad (dry food only) is allowed.
7. No decoration, pandals, lighting and road side stalls to be permitted. However pitri-tarpan is allowed on the banks of the river keeping all COVID-19 protocols in accordance. Violation of this order will attract punitive action.
The order has come into force with immediate effect. The management authority also requested Cachar SP to deploy police personnel at both the bridges (Old & New) located at Sadarghat, Silchar and barricade the entry and exit points. Also police personnel would be deployed at all places for necessary patrolling so as to avoid mass gathering at any place.