Barak Bulletin is a hyperlocal news publication which features latest updates, breaking news, interviews, feature stories and columns.
Also read in

Hailakandi DC says grocery stores to remain open from 9 - 3; SP confirms individual from abroad is asymptomatic

In an appeal to the people on Wednesday, the deputy commissioner of Hailalkandi Keerthi Jalli said the administration and the health department are taking all preventive measures at ground zero to contain the spread of the disease and the people must fully cooperate by remaining indoors.

Jalli added that the district has sufficient foodstuff to last for two months and there is no need for people to resort to panic buying. She said groceries with trade license will remain open between 9 am to 3 pm and two persons from each family will be allowed to buy essentials within a radius of one km. “They will have to come to the nearest grocery on foot and not by any modes of transport,” said Jalli.

The Deputy Commissioner appealed to the senior citizens and people from all walks of life, including daily wage earners to cooperate with the administration during the lockdown period. “The doctors and healthcare workers who are working day in and day out to protect the lives of people by putting their own lives at peril. Don’t panic, stay indoors and be healthy. Pray at home as it is not at all conducive to go outside to offer prayers at temples, mosques, churches and other religious places,” said Jalli.

Meanwhile, the person who had come from abroad to Hailakandi on Monday and sent to Silchar Medical College and Hospital for screening has been found asymptomatic of COVID-19.

Superintendent of Police, Pabindra Kumar Nath said, “As per the latest report, the person has been allowed to return home, as his test result for COVID-19 appeared negative. He is now in home quarantine under strict surveillance.”
Nath said that the person would be prosecuted for concealing information and not reporting to the nearest police station or health centre. Hailakandi Sadar Police Station has registered a case No 266/20, u/s 188 IPC against the person and his father, who is a Goan Panchayat secretary.

Nath said that the father misled the officials by saying that his son was in Delhi and would be arriving in a day or two. “On inquiry, it was found that the person had already reached home. A search warrant was issued and the person was apprehended and sent to SMC&H for medical check-up,” added Nath.

Altogether 1102 persons have been put under home quarantine with 381 quarantined on Wednesday. 118 surveillance teams have been pressed into service. Besides, the five-bed isolation ward at the civil hospital, quarantine facility has also been set up with a total bed capacity of 105.

Comments are closed.